Giltspur Street, London EC1
St. Sepulchre-without-Newgate is the largest church in the City of London.
The tower and outer walls were built around 1450. Badly damaged in the
Great Fire of 1666, the church was rebuilt by Wren's masons in 1670-71.
The ashes of Sir Henry Wood, Founder of the Promenade Concerts - the longest
running continuous series of orchestral concerts in the world - are interred
in the Musicians' Chapel where there is also a commemorative window of
Dame Nellie Melba, the famous Australian soprano.
On the south wall there is a stained glass window commemorating Captain
John Smith, the first Governor of the state of Virginia, USA, whose exploits
included sailing to America in "the little ships" in 1607, where he was
captured by Indians and freed by Princess Pocahontas. John Smith died in 1631 and is buried in the south aisle, his final resting place.
The Royal School of Church Music was
founded at St. Sepulchre's and the historic tower holds the twelve bells
of the Old Bailey made famous by the nursery rhyme 'Oranges and Lemons'.